About Me

My photo

I'm a textile fanatic.  If it has to do with fiber, it's for me.  I love my almost fourteen year old son, cats and sheep.  I love historical costuming and most days you'll find me researching or reproducing clothing from any one of many time periods that have caught my fancy.

Monday, March 25, 2013

Historical Sew Fortnightly Challenge # 6 - Stripes (1)

The challenge is stripes and my entry is an apron for my sister-in-law, Lynn.  Without further ado, here it is.

The fabric is 100% linen with 5/8th inch wide stripes separated by single white threads.  The stripes are in the warp, which is predominantly black.  The weft is brown.  The combination forms a very dark brown with pinstripes of white.  I pulled threads from both the warp and weft, waxed them heavily and used them for sewing.  The fabric is from William Booth Draper, and is 59" wide at $14.00/yard.


I cut the fabric into 3 equal panels, at 19" each.  I worked a fine rolled hem along each long edge, using 1 strand of brown thread. 



I then whipped the panels together using doubled strands of brown thread, biting in only about three threads worth.


I then flattened the whipped seams open. (shown on wrong side, above, and right side, below)



Hems were worked by turning under 3/8th inch and turning under again.  Bottom hem was worked first, and then the side hems carried all the way to bottom edge (NOT mitered)  Hems were closely whipped using one strand each of brown and black threads.

Casing for drawstring was made at the top by turning under 1/8th inh and then 5/8th inch.  Casing was whipped down using one strand each of brown and black threads.  

I still need to hem the ends of the drawstring/tape and thread it through the casing.  There's also still a little more stitching to do on the hems and stitch the monogram, but I wanted to get this up for now.  I should be finished tomorrow morning, and then I'll post the HSF criteria along with the research and reasoning behind making the narrower panels, rather than using the linen at the full width.  

I actually started this apron in plenty of time to make the deadline, but I got side-tracked by the Zelda project for Liam.  Then I got going again on the shifts, before I realized that the challenge was almost due.

We make plans and God laughs.

Happy stitching.



No comments:

Post a Comment